Friday, January 14, 2011

Florence: Duomo, Uffizi

The majority of our second day in Florence was spent at the Duomo and the Uffizi gallery. I had seen pictures of the Duomo in guidebooks, but I was amazed at the beautiful pink, white and green marble facade. It is so different from all other cathedrals I have seen.




The main bronze doors of the cathedral.


After the gorgeous exterior, I was a little disappointed in the interior.


Impressive in scale, but not as ornate as I was assuming it would be.


The Baptistery with it's fantastic "Gates of Paradise".



The Uffizi Gallery.

W1 and L1 spent their time in the gallery parked on a bench watching Toy Story 3 on the ipod, while R1 and I took turns looking at the art. It worked out rather well.

On the rooftop of the gallery, we recharged with chocolate and a glimpse at the Florence skyline.

A kind stranger offered to take our picture, and we managed one good shot before H1 ran off, L1 announced he had to use the toilet, and W1 turned and started chasing the pigeon.

1 comment:

carla said...

Wow! I'm so very jealous! Beautiful pictures.