- I found a copy on my bookshelf (it may seen odd that I don't know what is on my bookshelves, but we have a lot of them and they are crammed full.)
- I was looking for a book to read while upstairs. That's right, I keep one book downstairs, and one upstairs, you have no idea how this simplifies my life. I'm thinking about another one for the car.
- I remembered reading it in high school and liking it, but could not remember how it ended (beyond very generally).
- I found out there was a Masterpiece Theater version that I hadn't seen.
So, armed with so many reasons, I had to read it.And then of course I had to watch the MT version. I thought it was good, but they did it a bit darker and spookier then I was imagining when I read the book. And the part with the fortune teller bothered me because I was looking forward to seeing how they were going to pull it off. But, they sidestepped the difficulty of disguising Mr. Rochester as an old gypsy lady.

After watching that version, naturally I had to go back and watch the 1996 movie version. I think I saw this with my roommates in college. I found this Jane Eyre more believable, but I thought the Mr. Rochester was a bit too old, and not as feisty as in the book. And they skipped the whole gypsy scene altogether (one of my favorites from the book).
Now you see how I spend some of my free time. And now I am looking for a new upstairs book...
4 comments:
You should have suggested this for bookclub last night. I think I would like to read it again. I last read it in 9th grade and was too young to really appreciate it. I love the 1996 version-especially Toby Stephens, who happens to be Maggie Smith's son.
Oops, it is the MT version I like. I'm not a big fan of William Hurt.
I am going to have to start having a book on each floor. That will simplify my life too. Great idea.
read The Host as your next upstairs book...i'm not that far into it, but my friend who loaned it to me read loved it, and so did her husband. or read Lady Susan...we're doing that one for a book club down here. i need to read jane eyre, too. my friends told me how much they liked the MT version. i have a new found love affair with masterpiece theater.
Post a Comment