
Last Saturday, we drove down to L.A. to visit the
J. Paul Getty museum. I remember going on a field trip in elementary school to the old Getty museum site in Malibu (what is now the Getty Villa). The main museum has moved to a hillside overlooking Los Angeles. It has an amazing view of downtown L.A., beautiful architecture and gardens. We used to make a habit of visiting every time we were in California, but it has been a couple of years.

We spent a lovely day wondering around through the exhibits and gardens. W1 tried to convince us that we should let him swim in the fountains, but we resisted. We placated him with a frozen fruit bar that he ate and dripped all over the front of his shirt. And his shoes. And the ground. But he sure did enjoy it.

Currently exhibited is a collection of Bernini's portrait sculptures. They were breathtaking. It is amazing that a chunk of marble could be made to look so soft and alive.
I highly recommend The Getty to anyone living in the L.A. area (and there are several of you!). It is worth the trip, and you could fill several Saturdays before you see everything. I wish we had time to go back again!
2 comments:
Oh, I loved the Getty when we went there. It was when John and I were dating, so a while ago. It's on my list of places to visit next time we're in LA.
I love the Getty! I've only been once, but I wish I could go back. The building alone is gorgeous, and then all the art. I second the motion that everybody should go.
Post a Comment