Friday, October 3, 2008

our dinner conversation last night

R1 (in an effort to get W1 to finish eating): Do you want more fish?

W1: No.

R1: Do you want more potatoes?

W1: No.

R1: Do you want more corn?

W1: No.

K1: Do you want chocolate?

*I don't usually offer chocolate W1 for dinner, but I thought he wasn't listening and just automatically answering no, so I thought we could have some fun with it. Foolish.

W1 (after a long pause while he looked around the table in vain for some chocolate): choc, choc?

R1 and K1: *gasp*

K1: Uh-oh.

So, W1 topped off his dinner of fish, potatoes and corn with some chocolate. I mean, we had to reward him for saying chocolate (or his version of it) for the first time. And then of course, we used the chocolate to bribe him to finish his real dinner. (You all would have done the same, right?).

Tonight our dinner conversation will return to it's usual intellectual mix of culture, politics, and current events.

Hah.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Too funny. I had to chuckle. That happens at my house too.

Nadia and Jeremy said...

we always bribe our children...i have no problems with it. you know what i picked up at target that has really been a hit with our kids? those plates that are separated, like a lunch tray. the kids get to pick what goes in each little section, and they eat everything. it's like magic for us. i was seriously jumping for joy the other day. it may or may not work, but spend $4 and give it a try. i think the freedom of having a choice of what they want to eat (i give them options) and choosing where it goes really made them happy.

esmiley said...

chocolate probably was not locally grown...and I'm betting the fish isn't from the great lakes. :o) j/k To answer you comment from awhile back on my blog, I have been enjoying Omnivore's dilemma. Definitely making me rethink a few things. And Grace actually does quite well eating her dessert whenever and then will often finish off her broccoli on her own accord. (Maybe because we have lunch trays like nadia talked about, they really are magic).