R1 and I are constantly having conversations about where we want to live. And the consensus is usually a shrug of the shoulders and an "Anywhere would be fine".
Therefore, one of two things needs to happen.
1. R1 only gets one job offer. Problem solved.
2. Someone else tells us where to move. (It's true. Sometimes we function better when someone else takes charge.)
So, in case we need to rely upon option #2, and you happen to be the lucky one to decide for us, here are some of our criteria:
1. Not too rural, but also, not too urban.
2. Relatively close to either mountains or the coast.
3. Costco.
4. IKEA. Because we are cheap. But we don't want our furniture to give it away.
5. Good schools.
6. Not so expensive that we can't afford a house with a backyard. A fenced backyard where our children may run wild.
7. Lower taxes than NY state. Oh wait, that's almost everywhere.
8. Temperatures no higher than 85 and no lower than 55.
9. Just kidding about that last one. Mostly.
10. Near a fairly major airport.
Any ideas yet?
To give you a little extra help, here are a few of the places we have ruled out. Some were actually considered at one time or another, others just fantasy.

We came this close to living here for a year. R1 had a job lined up, but I just couldn't seem to find a job which would use my degree in biology. At the south pole. Where everything is frozen.
I could just sit all day and listen to people talk. And play bagpipes.
Johnston Atoll.

Just too rundown.

Hard to get past the no oxygen difficulty.

The Princes' Islands just off of Istanbul, where we spent a day in 2002. Beautiful and rustic.

Greece, where I wouldn't be able to tear my eyes away from the view.
So, tell me. Where should we live?
4 comments:
I'm thinking somewhere near Denver (except for the 55 degrees part). I hear they are building an IKEA there soon.
I think I've made myself clear on this subject thankyouverymuch.
This is Ariel Spencer btw, don't want to freak you out thinking some creeper is commenting on your blog. My family really loves Sacramento (which fulfills all your requirements) and I really liked Mesa (which is just hot) as long as you have a pool it's way nice. Also I am a fan of the OC (oregon coast).
All of the above places sound good to us. We will join you:). You should just get a job that will transplant you to all over the world, plus provide good school, good housing, good pay, good neighbors, good food, and endless happiness. We are still looking for this dream job/location but let us know if you find it:) --Rachel Howell
Post a Comment