Thursday, March 27, 2008

has anyone else read this?

I just finished this the other day, and have been dying to discuss it with someone. None of the people I see every day (r1, w1, and l1) have read it.

I am at odds with myself as to whether I liked it or not. It is certainly a disturbing story, but one that I was unable to put down.

So, have you read it? What did you think?

3 comments:

Nadia and Jeremy said...

Jeremy read it and really liked it too. They read it for book club here and the sad thing: jer totally forgot about it the night of and he was so excited to go and discuss it. sad. i haven't read it yet, but jeremy gave me the basic run down. i don't know if it would be good for me to read. it seems pretty disturbing. while he was talking to me about it it totally reminded me of this weird movie that george lucas did in japan, in japanese. the whole movie was composed of 7 short films that all had an interweaving theme. if i can find the name of it i'll let you know what it is. it's kind of stuck in my mind. have you read "the giver" and "gathering blue"? i really like those. their young adult books, but kind of the same thing...what would happen if society as we know it ended? what communities would pop up and what would they be like. definitely toned down, but really interesting. hope you find someone to talk about it with!

Unknown said...

Karen recently read it. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to chat about it. You should send her an email ;-) She tries to get me to read books such as this that we can discuss together but I tend to only read non-fiction these days...

PS. Greetings from Bombay!

April said...

I am intrigued. I will put it on my list.